Saturday, November 1, 2008

It Is Finished

I hardly know what to say. I've dreamed about writing this post for so long, and yet now that the time has arrived, it just doesn't seem real. But it is real, and we have some exciting news to share.

Emma did it! On Thursday, October 30th, Emma's G tube was taken out. Forever. For good. Never to be used again.

We have an eater, ladies and gentlemen! Over the last 5-6 months, Emma has proven herself to be a competent eater. She's managed to overcome all her previous eating challenges and meet all her weight gain requirements, all while chewing and drinking and swallowing safely. To say we are thrilled is an understatement. We are thrilled, elated, escatic, overjoyed and so PROUD of our big girl (and of ourselves - we made it!)

The events leading up to Emma's tube removal happened very quickly. A few weeks ago, I did the math to figure out what the feeding clinic would consider an acceptable weight gain at our November 19th appointment. The math told me they would be pleased if Emma weighed between 20 pounds and 20 pounds, 4 oz. But when Emma was weighed at her Synagis appointment at the Navy Hospital on October 23rd, I was SHOCKED to find out that she already was 20 lbs, 4 oz. As I began to think about it, I realized that I wanted to be sure that we had plenty of time between the removal of Emma's tube and our move back to Anacortes (in case any problems should creep up), so I called the feeding clinic to report Emma's weight and ask if we could move our appointment up. To my surprise, Elaine (our nurse practitioner) said she could squeeze Emma in for a weight check on October 29th. I called the surgery department at the hospital (where they actually remove the G tube) and they said they could see Emma on the 30th. I spent the rest of the morning on the phone with her pediatrician's office getting the referrals we needed for these appointments, and on Wednesday, Emma had her last appointment with the feeding clinic. Elaine was quite pleased with her weight gain and we left her office with the long-awaited letter giving her authorization for the removal of Emma's tube. When I took Emma to the surgery clinic the following morning, I assumed it would merely be for a new patient intake appointment and that we would schedule the removal of her G tube for a later date. Imagine my surprise when the nurse practitioner, after reading Elaine's letter, said, "Well, let's take it out." I said, "Today? Right now?" She said, "Don't you want it to come out?" to which I responded, "Yes! I just didn't think it would happen today." The nurse practitioner laid Emma on the exam table, pulled the water from the balloon inside her tube, and in about 3 seconds, it was out for good. She said, "Do you want to do the honors?" and handed me the tube. I gleefully spiked it into the garbage can for the last time. It was great.

We do have a very specific prayer request over the next two weeks. I was told that the clinic allows two full weeks for the wound to close up on its own. If, after two weeks, the wound is still leaking fluid, it will have to be closed surgically. Surgery. With anaesthesia and all. Although they said this only happens about 20% of the time, it is our very great hope that Emma's incision will heal on its own. I hate the thought of putting her through surgery again and anaesthesia makes me nervous. Please pray that Emma's incision closes quickly and safely so that surgery would not be necessary. Each time we change her dressing, the site appears to be leaking less and less, but we are eager for it to close for good before it creates problems for her skin.

Thank you for all of your prayers for Emma and for Chris and I over the past 20 months on the feeding issues roller coaster. We are so proud of all that Emma has accomplished. It hit me the other day that there is now nothing distinguishing Emma from any other 20-month-old. The G tube was the last reminder of her harrowing beginning and we are so thrilled to be able to say..."It is finished."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What amazing news Jen!! We're so excited for you guys!! =) Praise God!! =)

emily said...

Woo hooooo! Praise God is right.